My First Dolphin Encounter

Wednesday, February 4, 2009


Before Discovery Cove and the idea of paying for dolphin encounters existed, some noble aquariums picked one lucky audience member to interact with the dolphin during the show.

One such Aquarium was the National Aquarium in Baltimore, and I was the lucky chosen one. I was 10 y/o and obsessed with dolphins. I went to the show early because I was so excited. I wasn't the only one there, but a nice staff woman came to talk to me (perhaps a PR person?). She asked me a few questions, which led to me telling her about my dream of becoming a marine biologist/animal trainer. "How would you like to pet a dolphin during the show?," she asked.

Needless to say I was very happy to be chosen. Mid-show the trainer called me to the front of the tank where there was a soft platform. I had to put on very big rain boots and walk onto the platform.

Then the trainer called the dolphin up onto the platform. I was in awe. A close encounter with someone with my dream job and my favorite animal. She instructed me about how to touch a dolphin (like petting a dog). Then she asked me to describe it to the audience over the microphone. It is a difficult feeling to describe; rubbery satin, but firm and bouncy. The dolphin's skin was infinitely smooth, and I could feel the skin being shed a bit as I petted it. The most accurate description I've seen is in
A Ring of Endless Light, by Madeleine L'Engle, when the main character describes a dolphin's skin as "resilient pewter."

The dolphin did a few tricks for me, like giving me a kiss and rolling over so I could pet its belly. I rewarded it with some fish that I fed it myself. Everyone clapped, and I eventually had to return to my seat for the rest of the show. After the show, I thanked the woman who gave me this amazing opportunity and she also gave me a gift card to the gift shop.

Can you guess what I bought with it? A dolphin stuffed animal, complete with squeaker, of course. I still have that toy, and the wonderful memory of that day.